5 Benefits of Sports Chiropractic Care for Athletes
5 Benefits of Sports Chiropractic Care for Athletes
Chiropractic care is a natural health care option that offers drug free, non-surgical treatments for many musculoskeletal conditions ranging from low back pain, to shoulder injuries, to treatment of concussions. Athletes in particular benefit greatly from chiropractic care and most professional sports organizations from the NFL to the MLB and the UFC offer chiropractic care for their athletes. A chiropractic sports physician receives specialized training that prepares them to recognize, evaluate and manage sports-related injuries effectively and efficiently.
Here are a few benefits for athletes who receive chiropractic care
1. Improve range of motion and performance.
During athletic competition or training, athletes may experience joint stiffness and reduced range of motion, which could have a negative effect on performance and training efficiency. An adjustment or a joint manipulation improves the motion within the joint space1, by giving the joint a ‘reset,’ which could improve joint function and performance. Sport chiropractors also implement specific mobility training to improve joint health and performance as part of a sports specific injury prevention program.
2. Improved recovery and injury prevention.
A chiropractic sports physician working with athletes must be prepared to go the extra mile to not only treat acute (new) injuries, but also be able to assess the athlete as a whole to include a thorough musculoskeletal, neurological, and orthopedic examination. A sports chiropractor has the specialized training to take the athlete from the time of injury to return to play. Athletes that undergo chiropractic care for sports injuries typically report shorter recovery times, as well as reduced reoccurrence of chronic injuries.
3. Reduced pharmacological intervention.
During athletic competition and training, athletes are at an increased for injuries of all kinds. Often times these injuries can lead to significant pain, which may require pain medications. Commonly medications like Tylenol and other anti-inflammatories are used to reduce pain for these athletes, but often stronger prescriptions are required and the risk of addiction must be taken very seriously. A study published in the journal Pain Medicine evaluated the association of chiropractic care and opioid use; they found that those who received chiropractic care were less likely to require opioid prescriptions for pain2.
4. Recognition and management of sports related concussion.
Sports related concussions (SRC) are a significant concern for athletes, as well as their families. SRCs can dramatically alter an athlete’s career, and their life. Over the last several years, concussion evaluation and management has improved greatly, leading to improved outcomes for our patients. Chiropractic sports physicians undergo specialized training to identify and treat SRCs both on the field, as well as in an office setting3. A study published in the Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Associated investigated the ability of chiropractic sports physicians to effectively diagnose and treat concussions, concluding ‘sports chiropractors demonstrated the skills and knowledge to diagnose concussion and excel at identifying the definition and mechanism of concussion…4’
5. Treatment of Champions!
Champions utilize chiropractic. Here are a few testimonials from a few of the greatest athletes of all time.
- “Bodybuilders and fitness people have been using Chiropractic extensively in order to stay healthy and fit. Whenever I had a problem with my body I always ran to my dear friend. He was always right there with the adjustments.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
- “Chiropractic just makes you feel so much better. When I walk out of the clinic, I feel like I’m about three inches taller and everything’s in place. And as long as I see the Chiropractor, I feel like I’m one step ahead of the game.” – Tom Brady
- “Being a Chiropractor patient has really helped me immensely. It’s as important to my training as practicing my swing.” – Tiger Woods
- “I don’t know how much I could improve until I started seeing a Chiropractor. Since I’ve been in Chiropractic, I’ve improved by leaps and bounds both mentally and physically.” – Michael Jordan
- “Chiropractic gives me the flexibility I need to keep in the game.” – Venus Williams
There are numerous benefits for chiropractic care for athletes, whether you are a world champion athlete, a weekend warrior, or an industrial athlete. Chiropractic can improve your performance and help you reach your health and fitness goals.
- Galindez-Ibarbengoetxea, X., Setuain, I., Andersen, L. L., Ramírez-Velez, R., González-Izal, M., Jauregi, A., & Izquierdo, M. (2017). Effects of Cervical High-Velocity Low-Amplitude Techniques on Range of Motion, Strength Performance, and Cardiovascular Outcomes: A Review. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 23(9), 667–675. doi: 10.1089/acm.2017.0002
- Corcoran, K. L., Bastian, L. A., Gunderson, C. G., Steffens, C., Brackett, A., & Lisi, A. J. (2019). Association Between Chiropractic Use and Opioid Receipt Among Patients with Spinal Pain: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Pain Medicine. doi: 10.1093/pm/pnz219
- Moreau, W. J., Nabhan, D. C., & Walden, T. (2015). Sport Concussion Knowledge and Clinical Practices: A Survey of Doctors of Chiropractic With Sports Certification. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 14(3), 169–175. doi: 10.1016/j.jcm.2015.08.003
- Kazemi, M., Bogumil, M. E., & Vora, K. (n.d.). Concussion knowledge among Sport Chiropractic Fellows from the Royal College of Chiropractic Sports Sciences (Canada). Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association , 61(3), 239–252.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!